Monday, April 11, 2011

Staying the course...


Photo: We Heart It.

"Success is not normally attained through sporadic bursts of effort. Rather it is in the continuity of the effort, the constancy of going on trying each day, each week, helped by grace."
-Unknown

For enthusiastic people with slight ADD tendencies (*ahem*, moi), consistency and 'staying the course' can pose a challenge. I thrive on the excitement of beginning new projects, but often have trouble sticking with something after the initial glow and glamor wear away.

But I've learned that nothing worth having comes easy. To achieve meaningful goals, a healthy work ethic is an absolute necessity. So how do you get in touch with and channel the determination that will keep you plugging away, even when going gets tough?

Here's what works for me...

1. Setting achievable goals
I'm all for lofty aspirations, but if you don't break down your big dream into small, manageable tasks, it's easy to get overwhelmed and give up all together. Make sure to set regular milestones, and don't forget to reward yourself along the way! Got an A on a paper? Gave a rock-star presentation and impressed your boss? Go get a pedicure (or something equally delicious), STAT!

2. Sharing aspirations with positive and like-minded pals
When you feel like your progress is stagnating, look to your friends for support, and in turn, support them when they need it. It's hard to achieve anything without a little love and encouragement, and in the words of The Beatles, "Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends"!

3. Saying affirmations
I know, I know, I'm becoming more of a woo woo Oprah wanna be with each passing day, but I seriously believe in the power of the occasional, "I can do it" or "I am strong" recited to one's reflection in the mirror.

4. Practicing self-care and staying grounded
Never let achieving your goal become more important than your health, relationships, or values. In the words of Conan O'Brien, "If you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." I believe this with all my heart!

Go out and make things great this week!!

(Whew, now that that's done, I think it's about time to cuddle up in bed with a glass of wine and few episodes of the Vampire Diaries ;)!)

No comments:

Post a Comment