Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Cure to Your Quarter-Life Kvetching


I feel like everyone I know is going through a quarter life crisis.  Whether sipping coffee with a coworker, downing omelets at Sunday brunch, unrolling my yoga mat before class, or sipping cocktails at a bar, I can't count the number of times lately that I've heard some variation of:

 "I don't know what I'm doing with my life and I'm freaking the F*** out about it".  

A little while back I told you to quit your quarter life kvetching and work on living in the present.  And while I do think that focusing on the "now" and cultivating gratitude is super important, I also think a little kvetching (*ahem* questioning) is essential.

So if you are seeking greater clarity about what really lights you up inside, what you want to do with your life, etc., I invite grab a pen and pen and paper and answer the following questions:

*NOTE this exercise works best when you write your answers quickly without thinking too much about them

1. How satisfied are you with where you are in your life?

2. What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

3. If money were no object, how would you spend your time (after raging on a private island for a few months, of course)?

4. What would you like your life to look like in 2 years? 5 years? 10 years?

5. Who inspires you and why?

6. What issues do you feel most passionate about?

7. Who are you jealous of and why?

8. What were your favorite past times as a little kid?

9. What skills/abilities do people always complement you on?

10. When have you been the happiest in your life and why?  What elements of that time could you incorporate into your current situation?

11. What are your three worst habits what is the payoff for continuing them?

12. What are five things that sound really fun but you would never do?

13.  What would your ideal life look like?  Where would you live?  What would you do for work?  What would your relationships look like?  What would you eat?  What would you do for fun?

I hope answering some of these questions helped spark a few ideas about what lights you up and what you want out of life!  I'd love to hear about your experience in the comments below!

Also, remember...


4 comments:

  1. Oh quarter-life kvetching! Love this post. I need to answer your questions and stop venting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca - these questions were so helpful and really got me thinking!

    I thought the NYTimes really nailed it with this article too: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/jobs/follow-a-career-passion-let-it-follow-you.html?_r=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, so glad you liked them, and thanks for sending that article, good stuff! Would love to set up a time to Skype sometime soon, miss you and love you!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete